2016 BMW S1000R
Island BMW #30561
Is your heartbeat connected directly to the tachometer?
Then the S1000R is the Roadster for you – stripped down to the essential, but maximized for pure riding fun. Its aggressive engine with 165 hp/121 kW will put a smile on your face every time it revs up. And the rich sound of the new HP titanium rear silencer leaves no doubt: that's how life on the fast lane is supposed to sound.
Adrenaline on two wheels. The design.
Some call it naked, we just call it concentrating on the bare essentials. The genes of its sister, the S1000RR, are quite obvious: an aggressive tail-up/nose-down design, a distinctive split-face and characteristic gills. The greatly reduced side trim panel and precise colouring make it clear: the power delivery isn't the only thing here that's pure and uncompromising. Three colours underscore the character of the bike: motorsport, Catalano grey and Racing red/Black storm metallic.
The source of all dynamics: the engine.
The high-performance 4-cylinder in-line engine, just like the rear, stems from the RR. With EU4 and the new noise regulation, its performance has been increased to 165 HP/121 kW. For an extremely linear torque and constant forward propulsion across the entire engine speed range.
E-Gas lets you meter out this power even more precisely. And the race-tested Pro shift assistant lets you shift up and down without using the clutch: for more dynamics and shorter response times – welcome to the borderland.
Room for adjustments. The equipment.
As standard, it offers you two driving modes: Rain and Road. "Rain" provides a gentle throttle response, with ABS and ASC adapted to wet road surfaces. Meanwhile, “Road” optimises throttle response, ABS and ASC for dry asphalt.
Optionally, you can have two additional modes: Dynamic and Dynamic Pro. Then ABS Pro provides you perfect delay even when leaning, DTC, launch control and the pit lane limiter. The Dynamic Pro user mode also allows custom settings. So there is really only one limit: your own personal one.
Uncompromisingly sensible. The individualisation options.
For your insatiable hunger for curves, there are two packages with special accessories. The Sport package lives up to its promises. It provides the Pro shift assistant, cruise control and the Pro driving mode, including the Dynamic and Dynamic Pro modes, DTC, ABS Pro, pit lane limiter and launch control. The Dynamic package, on the other hand, includes the electronic chassis DDC and the engine spoiler.
And with the HP forged wheels, your bike weighs a whole 2.4 kg less than the series, but has much more character.
Displacement: 999 cc
Engine Type: In-line 4 cylinder, DOHC, 16 valve, liquid cooled
Financing Available In House: YES
Fuel Consumption: 5.6 litre (100km at 120km/h)
Fuel Tank Capacity: 17.5 litre
Manufacturer’s Warranty: BMW 3 Year Unlimited km
Model Year: 2018
Qualifies for Warranty Extension: YES
Seat Height: 814 mm (32 in)
Wet Weight: 205kg
Conquer the roads - on the BMW S1000R.
A roadster, reduced to the essentials: maximum performance. 160 bhp/118 kW, 112 Nm torque and a power-to-weight ratio of 1.29 kilograms per bhp - and the competition disappears in the rear mirror. Like its superbike predecessor, the S1000R sets the benchmark in its segment.
Linear power: the engine.
The high-performance 4-cylinder in-line engine derives from the RR but has now been further optimised. The result: extremely linear torque delivery for constant forward propulsion across the entire engine speed range. The engine of the S1000R has an output of 160 PS/118 kW at 11,000 rpm, while a maximum of 112 Nm torque at 9,250 rpm puts a smile on the rider's face at every twist of the throttle.
Ready for attack: the design.
The genes of the S1000R are striking at first sight: aggressive tail-up/nose-down design, distinctive split face and the characteristic gills. And the "R" shows much less of its sharp-edged, muscular skin. Some people call it naked - we just call it focused on the essentials.
Versatile: the riding modes.
The S1000R can be reined in and unleashed at the press of a button as standard. The "Rain" mode provides a gentle throttle response, with ABS and ASC adapted to wet road surfaces. Meanwhile "Road" optimises throttle response, ABS and ASC for dry asphalt. The Pro modes are available as an optional extra for those chasing the threshold range: "Dynamic" and "Dynamic Pro" get the "R" into shape for the limits.
Full control: Race ABS and ASC as standard.
Keep the power under control. That’s why the S1000R is fitted with Race ABS and ASC (automatic stability control) as standard. This duo ensures excellent acceleration and deceleration figures at threshold level. They can be activated and deactivated during travel, making for uninterrupted riding fun.
No compromises: the individualisation options.
Two packages are available for the S1000R, each of which sensibly groups the various options: The "Sport" package includes the Pro modes (Rain, Road + Dynamic, Dynamic Pro), DTC, shift assistant and cruise control. The "Dynamic" package comprises the electronic suspension DDC and an engine spoiler in body colour. There will also be an extensive range of HP parts for the S 1000 R aimed at ambitious riders.
- Type: Water/oil-cooled 4-cylinder 4-stroke in-line engine, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts
- Bore x stroke: 80 mm x 49.7 mm
- Capacity: 999 ccm
- Rated output: 160 hp (118 kW) at 11,000 rpm
- Max. torque: 83 lb-ft (112 Nm) at 9,250 rpm
- Compression ratio: 12.0 : 1
- Mixture control / engine management: Electronic injection
- Emission control: 2 closed-loop 3-way catalytic converters, EU-3 norm with interference pipe and acoustic valves
- Maximum speed: over 125 mph
- Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h: 44 mpg at a constant 56 mph (5.4 L)
- Fuel type: Premium Unleaded
- Alternator: 350 W
- Battery: 12 V / 9 Ah, maintenance-free
- Clutch: Multiplate clutch in oil bath, anti-hopping clutch, mechanically controlled
- Gearbox: Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox, straight-toothed
- Drive: Chain 17/45
- Frame: Aluminum composite bridge frame, partially self-supporting engine
- Front wheel location / suspension: Upside-down telescopic fork Ø 46 mm, compression and rebound stage adjustable
- Rear wheel location / suspension: Aluminum 2-sided swing arm, rebound damping adjustable
- Suspension travel front / rear: 4.7 in. / 4.7 in. (120 mm / 120 mm)
- Wheelbase: 56.7 in. (1,439 mm)
- Castor: 3.9 in. (98.5 mm)
- Steering head angle: 65.4 deg.
- Wheels: Cast aluminum wheels
- Rim, front: 3.50 x 17 in.
- Rim, rear: 6.00 x 17 in.
- Tires, front: 120/70 ZR 17
- Tires, rear: 190/55 ZR 17
- Brake, front: Dual floating disc brakes, diameter 320 mm, thickness 5 mm, radial 4-piston fixed calipers
- Brake, rear: Single disc brake, single piston floating caliper, diameter 220 mm, 5 mm thick
- ABS: STANDARD Race ABS (part integral, can be switched off)
- Length: 81.0 in. (2,057 mm)
- Width (incl. mirrors): 33.3 in. (845 mm)
- Height (excl. mirrors): 48.3 in. (1,228 mm)
- Seat height, unladen weight: 32.0 in. (814 mm)
- Inner leg curve, unladen weight: 71.1 (1,805 mm)
- Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled: 456 lb. (207 kg)
- Permitted total weight: 897 lb. (407 kg)
- Payload (with standard equipment): 441 lb. (200 kg)
- Usable tank volume: 4.6 gal.
- Reserve: Approx. 1 gal.
- Engine Type
- 4-cylinder 4-stroke in-line engine, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts
- 999 ccm
- Bore and Stroke
- 80 mm x 49.7 mm
- Compression Ratio
- 12.0 : 1
- Fuel System
- Electronic injection
- Front Suspension
- Upside-down telescopic fork Ø 46 mm, compression and rebound stage adjustable
- Rear Suspension
- Aluminum 2-sided swing arm, rebound damping adjustable
- Front Brakes
- Dual floating disc brakes, diameter 320 mm, thickness 5 mm, radial 4-piston fixed calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single disc brake, single piston floating caliper, diameter 220 mm, 5 mm thick
- Front Tire
- 120/70 ZR 17
- Rear Tire
- 190/55 ZR 17
- 56.7 in. (1,439 mm)
- Seat Height
- 32.0 in. (814 mm)
- 3.9 in. (98.5 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.6 gal.
- 44 mpg at a constant 56 mph (5.4 L)
- Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox, straight-toothed
- Final Drive
- Chain 17/45
- Racing Red, Light White, Black Storm Metallic